As a visiting or transfer international student accepted to study at the American University in Bulgaria, you must have a long-term student visa, type D. To get this visa, you need to apply at the Bulgarian embassy in the country of your permanent residence not earlier than 3 months before the travelling date and not later than one month before that date. Because the visa process is slow and time-consuming, you must allow time for it. Our experience shows that you should allow at least 30 working days for the Bulgarian Embassy to issue the visa
Please keep in mind that you should apply for a visa no later than June 15 if you have been accepted for the fall semester and no later than November 1 if you have been accepted for the spring semester.
Here’s an outline of the process:
I. The first thing you must do is to express mail (by DHL or FedEx) - not fax or regular mail - the following documents to the International Student Services Office at AUBG:
- An official transcript from the university you are currently attending. The transcript must have an “Apostille" attached. An “Apostille” is a special notarization which is attached to foreign-bound documents to certify that the signature and seal on the document were valid at the time of issuance. It is obtained from the Office of the Secretary of State in your state.
Please also include a photocopy of the legalized transcript.
- An up-to-date medical certificate, issued in your home country by your health care provider. The certificate should contain general information about your health status. No need for translation and legalization.
- Two passport-size photos with your names written on the back as they appear on your passport.
- Two clear and legible copies of the information page of your international passport, with your names written in the Latin alphabet, the date and place of birth. If you have dual citizenship, please mail a copy of each passport. Important: expiration date of the passport must be at least 18 months after the date on which you apply for a visa.
MAKE SURE YOU MAIL ALL THE REQIRED DOCUMENTS AT ONCE.
II. When we receive these documents at AUBG, we will forward them to the Ministry of Education in Bulgaria. It takes at least two weeks for the Bulgarian Ministry of Education to issue an enrollment certificate in Bulgarian. When it is ready, we will send to you by express mail. Make sure that you have e-mailed us your exact mailing address and a telephone number. Please be aware that the mailing expenses will be charged to your student bill.
III. Finally, you must submit the following documents required for a long-term visa to the Bulgarian embassy in your country:
- Two completed visa application forms – You may download the form from the following website: http://www.mfa.bg/pages/109/index.html
- Certificate from the Ministry of Education – mailed by AUBG after receiving the documents in the visa letter;
- Enrolment certificate from AUBG - provided by AUBG;
- Housing letter - provided by AUBG;
- Health insurance letter certifying that the student will have insurance upon arrival - provided by AUBG;
- A document proving that you have paid your tuition;
- Document proving that you will be able to cover your living expenses – valid bank account with 3 480 BGN or the equivalent in USD.
- Valid passport;
- 2 copies of the passport;
- 2 pictures (3,5X4,5cm).
- If you are 18 or over you will need a State police background check (issued by the State Police and not by the police in your home town), certifying that you have never been convicted. The document should be certified with an "Apostille". Please leave a copy with the embassy and bring the original with you. After you arrive in Bulgaria, you will need to translate the document into Bulgarian and submit it to Migration Office as part of your BG ID card application.*
* Important: If the duration of your visa does not cover the whole period of staying in Bulgaria, after the first month of your arrival you will need a Bulgarian ID card for foreigners. More details about Bulgarian ID card procedure will be given to you during the Orientation week upon arrival on campus.
PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE BULGARIAN EMBASSY, AT WHICH YOU WILL APPLY IF THESE ARE ALL THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, as visa procedures are subject to change. You may find useful information about the Bulgarian Embassies in the USA on: http://www.mfa.bg/15/findanembassy Make sure that you submit original documents and two copies to the Bulgarian Embassy.
IV. When the visa is ready, go to the Bulgarian embassy to pick it up. Make sure you carry your passport with you. Please notify the Office of International Student Services that you have received your visa.
V. You may travel to Bulgaria after the visa is entered in your passport. Please do not buy a nonrefundable ticket until you receive your visa.
AUBG mailing address is:
International Student Services Office
American University in Bulgaria
Skaptopara 2, room 2051
54 Alexander Stamboliyski Str